For every decision you make ask yourself "What is the less expensive alternative?" - And then DO something with your savings!

Friday 11 November 2011

Being Honest with Vocabulary

One of the more difficult things I’ve done is change my vocabulary. Specifically, “I’ll pay it back later” really means “I can’t afford it right now” and so I now frequently utilize “I can’t afford it right now.” It still stings every time I say it aloud and even every time I think it. 

I’m proud that I use it more often though. It keeps me in-check with reality. It’s something I don’t hear enough people say. It’s something a lot of people aren’t honest with themselves about. 

I’m excited that my daughter hears this often though because she is learning valuable life lessons about money now at a young age (she just turned 4 a couple weeks ago).

Sometimes though – it’s a real bummer. 

At this particular moment in time, I’m having one of those bummer moments. Right now, I would love to have a nice glass of wine. I’d love to go up to the cold beer and wine store and grab a bottle – but, “I can’t afford it right now” (the cash I have now will be needed for groceries). It’d be so very easy to just use a credit card – but that’s the “I’ll pay it back later” mentality that got us into financial trouble in the first place. 

Like I said, it stings and sometimes it’s no fun. What I can say though is that there are great moments that outweigh moments like this – like looking at a zero balance on a credit card statement instead of grumbling about a bill I have to pay.

**Edit - mere minutes after making this post, a friend showed up at my door with a bottle of wine! She also invited us to dinner. A great evening was had by all!**

No comments:

Post a Comment